Friday 21 December 2012

It starting to feel like Christmas....

The end of a semester


For the first time in my life, December hasn't been about dodging the crazy shoppers, glamming up for the Christmas parties, and trying not to fall on my ass while commuting in the snow. No, this year I'm experiencing Christmas like no other.

The Japanese see Christmas as a holiday for couples, something along the lines of our Valentine’s Day. The first thing that struck me as strange is being asked; if I have a date for Christmas, am I going out with friends etc. To me Christmas is staying in your pj's, eating and playing silly games with your family. Owww I'm going to miss my Grans Christmas spread.

December this year has been an experience. My first term at Nanzan has finished, therefore I've had to say bye to friends who are returning home. When you are in a country which is completely different, those friends are like your connection with back home. This month also marks near the halfway point of my stay here. During the last four months, I've had to become a self-reliant individual. The loss of an uncle and a change in my relationships, has made me at one point hate being in Japan. However I now realise these moments would have happened, no matter where in the world I was in.

Even though I have been here for a while, I am still discovering new things. The other day I was lucky enough to be taught about the makings of Sencha. Sencha is a type of tea and it is said that there has never been a Sencha Sensei (teacher) who has passed away from any illness. It doesn't really matter how accurate that statement is, it is proven that Sencha is extremely good for your body's health. The art of tea making is very unique to Japan. While watching a tea ceremony, in many ways is like watching a dance.

Now here is my 'gaijin moment' of the month. As you probably know you can get some extreme toilets in Japan. I just happen to come across one with a few more buttons than normal. So sitting there, I start my search for the 'flush' button. I had narrowed it down to two potential flush buttons. Hmmm. So I decided what could go wrong if I press both of them. Of course one of them was the flush. As I leave the cubicle, 3 members of staff come hurrying through, looking for someone. I quietly walk to the wash basin. I overhear them ask people if they know of someone who is injured. Next thing I know someone with a first aid kit comes running in. I just slowly walk out, head down. I now know that button, to be the panic button.






No comments:

Post a Comment